Another claim of negligence

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Thu May 23 19:16:51 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Ulhas Joglekar wrote:
>
> >The US is not in this game for the love of humanity. Pakistan has always
> >been a close ally of the US (and China). Pakistan is located at the key
> >point with respect to the Persian Gulf and the Central Asia. Pakistan
acts
> >as a useful counter weight to India in the Anglo-American perspective.
The
> >US is not going to abandon Pakistan. The mess in Afghanistan was created
by
> >the Soviet Union and the US. India has to cope with the 'collateral
damage'
> >from
> >this mess on her own.
>
> Isn't the U.S. doing joint military maneuvers with India? What's that
> all about?

I don't understand the question. I am not sure how joint military maneuvers contradict what I have said. The US is not about to abandon Pakistan.

The US policies during the Cold War years used to be pro-Pakistan. Since the Soviet Union has disappeared, Pakistan's importance to the US has declined. There is a convergence of interests between India and the US. But Russia still remains the most important (70% of the total) supplier of defense equipment to India.

Joint maneuvres in Alaska and Agra don't address the question of ISI/AQ attacks. The US needs to restructure and reshape Pakistani state apparatus, if the US is serious about fighting terrorism. There is no sign so far that the US can do this. There is no indication that the US is interested in doing it.

Ulhas