KPRF on Bush's visit

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Fri May 24 00:38:33 PDT 2002

May 16, 2002 About a new stage of national treachery Statement of Gennady Zyuganov Chairman of the National Patriotic Union of Russia, Chairman of the Central Committee, Communist Party of the Russian Federation

The Kremlin is preparing a large-scale national treachery. The president of the Russian Federation Mr.Putin during the US president Mr.Bush's visit to Russia is going to sign a treaty on reduction of strategic nuclear potentials to 1700 - 2200 warheads. In fact Mr.Putin is going to destroy strategic forces created by two generations of our compatriots.

Nearly one third of the USSR national income was annually invested into their creation. The people sacrificed consciously as they were sure of the need to guarantee the country's safety. The people wanted to be sure that June, 1941 would never repeat. However Mr.Putin is moving now towards liquidation of the foundation of Russian defense capability.

The reduction of the Army to 850 thousand men is being prepared. It was its number at the beginning of last century, when our country was defeated by Japan. The army has not received new armaments for 10 years. The fleet is being destroyed. The pride by ours space research - the orbital station "Mir" - was drowned. In Baikonur the largest testing complex for space engineering in the world was destroyed. Today military pilots have no fuel for training, and the Navy - for naval exercises. For the first time in the history of Russia the officers' privileges earned for protecting Motherland with their lives, have been taken away.

The allies of Russia were sold out. Russian bases in Vietnam and Cuba vital for our country's security were closed. American soldiers appeared in Central Asia and in Georgia. Tomorrow US aircraft will land at the airfields of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia speedily admitted into NATO. The strategic encirclement of Russia is being completed with full consent of Mr.Putin and his team.

The show with negotiations and treaties cannot deceive anybody. 1,500 warheads, which Russia will be allowed to have is exactly the number that the US Anti-Ballistic Missile system will be able to intercept. The Kremlin is making sure that this system reliably protects America from retaliatory strike.

Promised reductions of the US nuclear forces is a large-scale deceit. The USA will only move warheads from missiles to warehouses, whence it will be possible quickly to return them back. At the same time Putin and his team will actively destroy our nuclear potential under pretext of fulfilling Russia's international obligations.

The liquidation of our strategic forces is a part of the program of Russia's destruction and enslavement. The aims, which Hitler failed to achieve by means of war, are now being achieve by other means. What is the need to occupy territories, if under the minister Gref's draft law tomorrow foreigners will be able to buy up all Russian lands? What is the need to hit launching sites of our missiles, if they will be destroyed under the instruction from the Kremlin while the program of production of new "Topol-M" missile is being financially strangled by minister Klebanov?

What is the need to occupy power stations, if Mr.Chubais can disconnect from electricity maternity houses, hospitals, schools and even strategic installations by turning a switch? What is the need to create colonial administration, if Prime Minister Kasyanov ensures advance payment of debts to his patrons and holds hungry the entire country, while the head of Presidential Administration Voloshin and his deputy Surkov have transformed parliament into a rubber seal, which stamps the most antinational laws? Why should US government "Freedom" radio station show a lot of zeal if Mr.Svanidze through State TV injects the poison of Anti-Russian hatred into each apartment?

The feeling becomes stronger that Mr.Putin has lost control even over his own government and now is floating in the direction pointed out by the oligarchs.

The treaty which will lead to destruction of Russia's nuclear potential was approved in Reykjavik. Open treachery by Gorbachev of the Soviet Union's interests began there. The Gorbachev - Yeltsin criminal tradition of making vital decisions secretly from the people is inherited by the Kremlin's present masters. There is no need to sign the treaty on strategic arms. What we are facing is a clear repetition of Gorbachev's desire to please Western "friends - masters", despite hard consequences for Russia, and for safety of the world. And Mr.Ivanov - the head of Russia's Foreign Ministry is obviously dreaming of laurels of Shevardnadze who destroyed the USSR.

We support demands put forward millions of people at the meetings on May 1 and May 9 on resignation of present antinational government and creation of a government of national interests.

The National Patriotic Union of Russia and the Communist Party of the Russian Federation strongly condemn plans of new large-scale treachery of Russia's national interests and demand to call off signing of the treaty contradicting those interests. In accordance with the Law on ratification of START-2 Treaty we insist that the President of Russian Federation immediately calls consultations with the Federal Assembly of Russian Federation on the issues of strategic security.

These issues concern destiny of Russia and destiny of each citizen, each Russian family.