Another claim of negligence

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Fri May 24 08:45:29 PDT 2002

My guess is that these maneuvers are a spillover effect from the limited US-India rapprochement during the Clinton administration. But they were very small-scale: maneuvers to help India learn to use its attack helicopters (of which it has 32). Something like 100 US troops and 180 Indian troops taking part. Distinctly small beer. India got the overwhelming majority of its arms from the Soviet Union from 1971-1991, so Russia is still by far the most important arms supplier to India. I don't think there's any there there when it comes to these maneuvers.

MM

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

>I don't understand the question. I am not sure how joint military maneuvers
>contradict what I have said. The US is not about to abandon Pakistan.

No, but the U.S. doesn't go on military dates with just everyone, does it? Doing maneuvers together suggests some degree of cooperation. How much, and why?

Doug