"Peace Activists" (a misnomer) Re: Do Everythinger

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Fri May 24 18:50:06 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Good news is that from 29 September 01 (about 10,000 @ the
> WWP/IAC/ANSWER + 2,000 direct action kids leaning toward anarchism)
> to 20 April 02 (between 75,000 and 100,000 depending on estimates),
> the size of DC actions has grown, which indicates the larger growth
> of an overall movement against the endless war. 75,000 - 100,000 at
> a legal and peaceful demonstration, however, isn't enough to change
> US policy on Israel/Palestine, Plan Colombia, or any other issue
> brought up at the A20 protest.

Yes, there are alot of Americans out there who oppose the "war", but it seems that the left is still mired in it own version of the "Vietnam Syndrome." It looks like the Pentagon planners are advocating against an Iraq war because they can't find enough non-US suckers to be cannon fodder. I'll bet that they know that they don't have enough people without having to start talking about a draft. The left seems to be always in the mode of resisting stuff when bombs are dropping or American lives are being lost. What can we do to really challenge the system?

On 9-11 we saw how a well-organized group of 19 guys could bring the world's superpower to its knees. All of the money spent on the CIA and on weapons systems couldn't prevent an attack on the U.S., including a direct attack on the Pentagon.

Protests are nice, but we need to raise the stakes if we are serious about stopping the war machine. That will take more of the usual activism, but also more visible signs of resistance (graffiti everywhere). There needs to be more sabotage of military facilities and infrastructure, as well as radicalizing of the rank-and-file military grunts. There is a big opportunity right now to sow dissent among National Guard volunteers, because there is an increasing worry among the weekend warriors that they're going to be sent to Iraq to improve G.W.'s reputation.

And we should all stop paying federal taxes.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)