Rain, Rain, Go Away, Come again some other Day, was Re: The Devil and Mr. Hicks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 26 08:48:44 PDT 2002

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> > [clip] Can the left, in short, get past the dusty
> > cant of the last 30 years and conjure a proactive vision with popular
> > appeal?"
>
> Which "the left" is he talking about? The Left I'm aware of
> is extremely variegated and can hardly be said to have a
> uniform opinion on race, or much of anything else.

One thing has always puzzled me about those who keep whining that "The Left" is doing this or that wrong. If they are so sure what should be done, and that it is so easy to do, why don't they go out and _do_ it? I've never wasted time whining about how horrible the Sparticist or the RCP is. They are simply part of the weather, and to complain about them is like complaining that the rain wets one.

As Gordon says, "The Left" doesn't exist, and squawks about it are empty. It would seem that dp thinks that the way to get his politics carried out is to bad mouth yoshie and me to do it for him. Too bad. We're just part of _his_ weather, and he'd best get off his ass and go to work.

Carrol