"Peace Activists" (a misnomer) Re: Do Everythinger

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sun May 26 10:48:03 PDT 2002

"Joe R. Golowka" wrote:

> > I disagree. The muscle of the world's superpower was powerless to stop the
> > 9-11 attacks. They didn't even have any jet fighters ready to shoot down
> > the planes. The fighters that were scrambled were Air National Guard jets.
>
> I don't see how the 9-11 attacks weakened Empire at all except maybe symbolically. They just used it
> as an excuse to clamp down on dissent and beat up on some more brown people. You can't blow up a
> social relation.

Ahh, but the terrorist attacks where hugely successful. They killed 3000 people, forced the entire air travel system to the ground, and sent Dick Cheney into hiding. Empire's response was to treat the attacks as another Peral Harbor and they launched a war, instead of a criminal investigation. Looks to me like the Empire has no self-control and is very insecure.

> > What was Empire's response to the attacks? Since their wonderful armies
> > and air forces are incapable of fighting assymetrical warfare, they went
> > over to Afghanistan and bounced the rubble around.
>
> And laid the ground for their oil pipeline.

If that was the motivation for the Afghanistan intervention. I agree with Chomsky that the intervention was more of a statement to the rest of the world to not fuck with the U.S. That ties in with U.S. business interests on a bigger level than just one pipeline.

> > I'm sorry, but I see an Empire in decline and one that is incredibly weak
> > and vulnerable right now.
>
> I think the American Empire has starting to decline for a couple years now but that's only recently
> becoming visible.

There are lots of signs there. Military recruitment actually declined in October of 2001. The patriotism thing has mostly disappeared and it turns out that some of it was simply solidarity with the victims of the 9-11 attacks. The war machine, which is basically just a capital transfer system to Ameerican business, is unprepared to fight several wars at once. They've run out of bombs and missiles and have shown that they can't base the military everywhere and proetct the "homeland" at the same time.

Smells like the British Empire to me.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)