The Devil and Mr. Hicks

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun May 26 12:35:01 PDT 2002

> Who knows? You have some principles, and in your fantasy a utopia
> where there's no violence (except the consensual kind) and no
> exploitation, and youdo what you can to promote those principles, and
> see what happens. You push for better standards of living, better
> work, more leisure, less hierarchy; against the usual discrimiantions
> and state violence and repression. You form alliances with other
> like-minded people - institutions like parties, unions, reading
> circles, affinity groups, listservs even. There's no off-the-shelf
> utopia though, if that's what you mean by The Plan.
>
> Doug

Agreed, but you have to admit there are many on the left aisle who talk as if there *is* a Plan, or something close to it, especially from the anti-globie anarchists who like the idea of everything coming apart and believe that their version of the Good Life will arise from the blood and ash (because the oppressed, deep down, are anarchists). I know -- I used to think this way, and for far too long, I'm afraid.

DP