The Devil and Mr. Hicks

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun May 26 15:37:44 PDT 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

> --
>
> Why is it so hard to accept that folks on the left have different
> interpretations of where we are politically, what is takes to get to where
> we want to go, and may have different views on what needs to be done-- yet
> share basic values on which we should be able to align despite those
> differences.

My basic value is the necessity of a mass movement unhampered by the DP's performance of its historic function of barring the development of mass movements. In other words, I argue that the values you state that you support are unachievable by any means as long as the DP exercise hegemony over the left. You can argue that that is wrong -- but it is childish to say that I should cancel my basic value in order to second your basic values.

Carrol