"dangling a cigarette"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 28 12:16:20 PDT 2002

>Daniel Davies wrote:
>
>>Ahhhh I see. For some reason I'd got it into my head that the author of
>>the original piece was trying to insinuate that Hitchens was gay.
>
>He once was - flamboyantly so, according to some reports. But in his
>appearance before Nation staffers and friends after he'd dropped the
>dime on Blumenthal, he responded to Alexander Cockburn's rather
>homophobic characterization of him by saying "I haven't slept with a
>man since I left England."
>
>Doug

Can't we retire Alterman, Hitchens, & Cockburn from _The Nation_ and replace them by less tired voices? Like Seth Ackerman? Tim Shorrock? Naomi Klein? JoAnn Wypijewski? Robin DG Kelley? Also, retire Calvin Trillin and hire Suheir Hammad (luscious in personal appearance as well as poetic performance, <http://www.smith.edu/poetrycenter/bios.php?name=shammad>) instead? -- Yoshie