"dangling a cigarette"

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue May 28 18:06:19 PDT 2002

Can't we retire Alterman, Hitchens, & Cockburn from _The Nation_ and replace them by less tired voices? Like Seth Ackerman? Tim Shorrock? Naomi Klein? JoAnn Wypijewski? Robin DG Kelley? Also, retire Calvin Trillin and hire Suheir Hammad (luscious in personal appearance as well as poetic performance, <http://www.smith.edu/poetrycenter/bios.php?name=shammad>) instead? -- Yoshie

Okay, policeman of the list, I'll agree with you on Alterman, but Cockburn still entertains. Why not the more, the merrier? I thought the left's motto was "all of the above"? Salim Muwakkil is great in this current piece: http://www.inthesetimes.com/issue/26/15/feature1.shtml "Historically, conspiracist thinking has been more central to the narrative of the far right, says Chip Berlet of Political Research Associates. Such conspiracism “assigns tiny cabals of evildoers a superhuman power to control events, frames social conflict as part of a transcendent struggle between Good and Evil, and makes leaps of logic, such as guilt by association, in analyzing evidence.”

Ms. Hammad does seem fabulous, but no subaltern compares with the feisty Arudhati Roy . When asked to comment on the possibility of the Booker Prize contest accepting American applicants, the 1997 winner with "The God of Small Things," declared, "I'm certainly not intimidated by American writers." http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/international/europe/25BOOK.html

This should have been entered at Cannes: http://www.hrw.org/iff/2002/ny/trials.html

Directed by Alex Gibney and Eugene Jarecki Produced in US/UK/Chile , 2002 Running Time: 80m Format: 35mm Genre: Documentary Distributor: Think Tank

Part contemporary investigation and part historical inquiry, The Trials of Henry Kissinger follows the quest of one journalist in search of justice. The film focuses on Christopher Hitchens' charges against Henry Kissinger as a war criminal - allegations documented in Hitchens' book of the same title - based on his role in countries such as Cambodia, Chile, and Indonesia. Kissinger's story raises profound questions about American foreign policy and highlights a new era of human rights. Increasing evidence about one man's role in a long history of human rights abuses leads to a critical examination of American diplomacy through the lens of international standards of justice. Gibney and Jarecki use extensive interviews and archival footage to remind us of Kissinger's powerful role in global affairs, while reconstructing the cases that Hitchens so adamantly argues in his book.