Opinions from Russia on the new Russia-NATO council

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Wed May 29 05:47:57 PDT 2002

Kommersant May 29, 2002 DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY'VE AGREED ON? Opinions from Russia on the new Russia-NATO council Author: not indicated [from WPS Monitoring Agency, www.wps.ru/e_index.html] RUSSIAN POLITICIANS AND PUBLIC FIGURES COMMENT ON THE CREATION OF THE RUSSIA-NATO COUNCIL AND THE AGREEMENT SIGNED IN ROME THIS WEEK. POSITIVE OPINIONS PREVAIL. INCLUDING THE VIEWS OF IRINA KHAKAMADA, DMITRY ROGOZIN, AND ALBERT MAKASHOV.

Igor Chubais, director of the Center for Russian Studies: "In my opinion, Russia is not eager to join NATO; it has understood that it is more important to develop its own territories. Now we have to live in peace and harmony with all our neighbors. Russia will not stop at agreements with NATO; similar agreements will be signed with China and our Asian neighbors."

Irina Khakamada, deputy Duma speaker: "We have gained a vote in NATO's Twenty, but we have not gained the right to veto the alliance's decisions. At the same time, the Rome declaration has determined issues which Russia will be able to discuss. First and foremost, this concerns eliminating mass destruction weapons and Russia's participation in local conflicts."

Dmitry Rogozin, chair of the Duma foreign affairs committee: "As far as the new architecture of security is concerned, the Rome declaration is a more important document than the upcoming decision connected with NATO's eastward expansion, which the alliance plans to make in Prague."

Albert Makashov, deputy leader of the Movement for Support of the Army: "In fact, our leaders has agreed with the West's conditions.why do we need such participation if we do not have the right to veto decisions? This is a voluntary surrender of all positions. Russia has permitted former Soviet republics to join the alliance. Ukraine will be able to tell us: "If Russia has joined, we can join too." We are fools if we tolerate leaders who betray us."

Julii Vorontsov, president of the US-Russian council for business cooperation: "The main result of the summit is that we will cooperate. NATO does not consider us as bugaboo. The NATO-Russia council has finally been created, and it will hold meeting twice a month. This is not much, but in the course of time everything will get ground and we will not need frequent meetings." (Translated by Alexander Dubovoi)