Failed Nader Voting promises

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed May 29 06:38:44 PDT 2002

Oh come on-- one of the most popular pro-Naderite arguments circulated on this list and others was Michael Moore's arguments that GOP appointments don't matter on the Supreme Court. We had lots of debate on that column and Katta Pollitt's response. Don't rewrite history.

Folks can defend Nader, but when they retroactively run away from the arguments made during the election, I'm not the one playing with the straw men. Folks promoting Nader made all sorts of arguments for Nader (it will shift politics to the left, it will shift the Dems to the left, it won't effect the Supreme Court, etc, etc.). Every single argument has not been borne out by events, so Nader-defenders just pretend they never made those arguments in the first place. When I defend the Dems, I make arguments for the gains we get from voting for them, and have no problem when others rub my nose in their betrayals of those predictions, but I'll hold out for the ones I make that are fulfilled (blocking many rightwing judges, blocking Bush's second round of tax cuts, voting en masse against fast track, etc.)

Name one prediction made by Nader-defenders that has come true?

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael McIntyre" <mmcintyr at depaul.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 9:16 AM Subject: Re: Te Big One- Supremes decimate federal regulation

Not to mention hyper-bizarro realo-land, where "All the Naderites said the Supreme Court doesn't matter, so vote Nader." Since I was a louche McReynoldite, I must have missed that one. Maybe one of the Naderites has a spare bumper sticker I can have. It can go on the wall next to my: "They won't count this vote anyway - Vote McReynolds" decal.

Is that straw I smell burning?

MM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shane Mage" <shmage at pipeline.com>

>...And yep, Nader has set up Bush to add to this nightmare majority...
>
>Nathan Newman

-There he goes again! Still unwilling to admit that his candidate -won the election and then did all in his power to help Bush steal it...

Ahh- now we are in leftwing hyper-bizarro land, where Gore actually conspired to lose the election. All the Naderites said the Supreme Court doesn't matter, so vote Nader. Well, it sure as f--- does matter as federal legislation is being gutted by the Court.

-- Nathan Newman