"dangling a cigarette"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed May 29 10:07:21 PDT 2002

>>When asked to comment on the possibility of
>>the Booker Prize contest accepting American
>>applicants, the 1997 winner with "The God of Small Things,"
>>declared, "I'm certainly not intimidated by American writers."
>>http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/25/international/europe/25BOOK.html
>
>http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020429&s=buruma042902&c=1
>
>The Anti-American
>by Ian Buruma

Ian Bruma writes: "The soaring market in Algeria? The new world economic order in Sudan? Profit-making in Afghanistan? Ah, if only. There were no doubt many reasons for the suicidal murder spree at the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, but global capitalism surely comes low on the list. Islam ism flourishes precisely in places that are relatively or even absolutely untouched by IBM or Motorola or even, strange to say, McDonald's. If the new economic order were the problem, why didn't the terrorists come from Bangkok, or Hong Kong?"

Capitalism as a mode of production, however, isn't a collection of multinational corporations like IBM, Motorola, & McDonald's, not even a sum of all the "private sectors." Whether you are unemployed in Long Island, a civil servant in Paris, a young soldier in Sudan, or a refugee from Afghanistan, you sure as hell cannot escape the direct and indirect impacts of global capitalism with its compulsion to M-C-M'. -- Yoshie