State of the art

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Wed May 29 09:56:51 PDT 2002

At 09:46 PM 05/28/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Ms. Hammad does seem fabulous, but no
>subaltern compares with the feisty Arudhati Roy .
>When asked to comment on the possibility of
>the Booker Prize contest accepting American
>applicants, the 1997 winner with "The God of Small Things,"
>declared, "I'm certainly not intimidated by American writers."

Why should she be? The best fiction I've read in the last ten years is from India. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy," give it a go. Best thing in english since Trollope. It goes on for fifteen hundred pages, and when you get to the end, you'll wish for another fifteen hundred.

Joanna