Fw: "Bowling for Columbine" Wins Cannes Prize

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 11:33:43 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Moore" <mmflint at aol.com> To: rhisiart at earthlink.net Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 7:06 AM Subject: "Bowling for Columbine" Wins Cannes Prize

: "Bowling for Columbine" Wins Cannes Prize
: May 27, 2002
:
: Dear friends,
:
: By now you may have awakened to the news that last night, in Cannes,
: France, my new film, "Bowling for Columbine," was awarded the Special
Prize
: of the 55th Cannes Film Festival. It had already made history by being the
: first documentary chosen to be part of the official festival competition
in
: almost 50 years. And, last night, it was the only prize awarded that
: received a unanimous decision from the festival jury. The film's crew and
: have never experieced anything like this.
:
: Now, you're probably wondering what happened to that guy who wrote "Stupid
: White Men?" I know it seems like I disappeared for the better part of
April
: and May. Contrary to the wild rumors I helped to initiate, I was not
: abducted by the Ashcroft Aliens for violating the new Patriot Act.
:
: In truth, the book tour spun out of control when I couldn't say no to all
: the places that asked me to come and speak. Before I knew it, I had done
64
: appearances in a total of 47 cities. Then, on the morning of my birthday,
: was awakened with a call from France, asking me if I would allow my film
: be shown in competition at the Cannes Film Festival. What do you say to a
: call like that? "Hey, it's my birthday, dammit, I'm trying to sleep!"
:
: So I rushed back to New York and went into overdrive to put the final
: touches on the film. We finished it 3 hours before we left to go to
France.
:
:
: Well, that was two weeks ago. I have been here in Cannes since then -- and
: the response has been nothing short of overwhelming. The director of the
: festival announced that the standing ovation our film received as the
: credits rolled set a new record in the history of the Cannes Film Festival
: -- 13 minutes long. Within hours, dozens of countries from around the
world
: bought the distribution rights to the film from the Canadian conglomerate
: which "owns" our movie, breaking the previous record for a documentary set
: by "Roger & Me" (yes, the producers get all the money and we get... well,
: we get nada plus a plane ticket home!)
:
: The day began yesterday with "Bowling for Columbine" winning "Best Film"
: from a vote of hundreds of French teachers and students from arond the
: country who each year come to Cannes and award one movie their "Cannes
Prix
: Educational National." It's the only "people's prize" at Cannes where
: everyday citizens get to screen the films and vote. It was a wonderful
: moment and a great honor to receive this award. The Education Ministry in
: France has made "Roger & Me" part of the French national curriculum and it
: is shown each year in every school in France. The same will now happen
with
: "Bowling for Columbine."
:
: So, when do you get to see it? United Artists bought the film for the U.S.
: and is planning on releasing it this fall. But don't hold your breath. I
: hate to sound a note of pessimism or warning, but my experience this year
: in fighting to get my book released (from a publisher that was hell-bent
on
: NOT releasing it) has made me justifiably wary of anyone who says they
will
: distribute my work. I wish the good people at UA all the best.
:
: There is no getting around the fact that "Bowling for Columbine" is a
: provocative, controversial film that is going to make a lot of people
: angry. That is not my intention. I do not relish the hassle I am in for.
: But the work I do must be an honest expression of what I see and
believe --
: and I am not inclined to soften what I do to appease those whom I must beg
: for money in order to do my work.
:
: "Bowling for Columbine" is my personal view of America at the turn of this
: new century. It is not specifically about Columbine and, no, it is not
: about bowling. My favorite quote I read during the festival was, "This
film
: will single-handedly guarantee that George W. Bush will never see a second
: term." Well, one can only dream. After all, it is just a movie. If it go
as
: planned, the film will be released in October.
:
: I have to say that things have turned around a bit for me in the past few
: months. I have no one else to thank for this except for all of you.
Against
: incredible odds that included a publisher who demanded I choose between
: censoring my work or destroying the 50,000 copies they had printed, you
: made "Stupid White Men" the most-read non-fiction book in the country --
: and it remains at or near the top of every best-seller list in the U.S.
and
: Canada for the 15th week in a row.
:
: To now have this record-setting response to "Bowling for Columbine" happen
: here at Cannes is beyond belief. It's more than I deserve and I feel truly
: blessed and privileged. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I wish
there
: was some way to repay all of you, like an internet version of let's all go
: out for a pizza. Maybe someday!
:
: Thanks again.
: