Better World

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Wed May 29 13:26:46 PDT 2002

> > It is being implemented in Argentina as we speak. If your've convinced
> that visions of a better word
> > are a Dream then why did you ask for them?
>
> A "better world" is being created in Argentina? What kind of one -- an
> anarcho-syndicalist one? This I've missed, and if it's true, three cheers.
> Please fill me in.

Right now it's more Anarcho-Mutualist then syndicalist. Starting in late December people in Argentina started forming neighborhood assemblies operating on the principles of decentralized direct democracy. Many factories have also been taken over by workers who are now running them in a system of worker assemblies. The unemployed are probably the most militant and have also formed their own assemblies. Their most popular slogan is "they all must go" - they refering to politicians and capitalists. Due to the policies of the government money has become nearly worthless and so people have been setting up barter marketplaces. The worker assemblies often trade their products at these bartering. The population has been practicing direct action en masse, including the expropriation of property and attacking banks on a regular basis. The last time something this radical happened was the Spanish Revolution in 1936. There's a good article on this revolution at http://www.indymedia.org:8081/front.php3?article_id=157377&group=webcast

> I never said that a better world is strictly a Dream -- I said that the old
> anarchist alternatives, which I trumpeted for years on end, cannot be
> implemented as they are laid out at Indymedia and elsewhere.

Why not? If you already believed this then why did you ask for alternatives?