Chomsky News Network

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 30 12:13:15 PDT 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> I took a beating last fall for saying agreeing with the WSWS that
> anti-Americanism is the anti-imperialism of fools,... Doug

> As the world's only super-power, Empire incarnate, what is the
> difference between anti-Americanism and anti-imperialism?

Chuck the anti-imperialist movement has always distinguished between states and peoples. But incidentally, the same kind of beautiful charity that others on the list wish to extend to the American people needs to be extended to other peoples. Anyone who squawked about Palestinians cheering 9/1l ought to also squawk about all the people who support Bush. You can't be "pro-American (people)" and anti ANY other people. The actual victims of 911 (those in the buildings, their friends & relatives, etc) did not _personally_ deserve what happened to them. But the only honest way to see their anguish is as collateral damage. (We can also call Al Quaida fools and/or villains, but Al Quaida and the people who tacitly support it by their mere suffering, are two different things.) Terrorists simply cannot operate unless (like honest guerilla forces) they have some kind of sea of people to swim in. And you can't blame the sea Al Quaida swims in anymore than you can blame the "American People" as a whole for the enormous slaughter in the Philippines a century ago.

Carrol