Greens Go Nuts- Nominate opponent to Wellstone

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 30 14:26:59 PDT 2002

Joe says:

> > >In the U.S. most oppressed people - poor people, blacks, latino,
>> >etc. boycott the elections.
>>
>> In the USA today, the poorest and most oppressed of whatever color
>> tend not to participate in elections (if they are not disfranchised
>> by the "war on crimes" to begin with), but they tend not to
>> participate in any other form of politics either, except perhaps
>> sporadic riots, workplace sabotages, and other actions that do have
>> some political consequences but are seldom consciously and
>> collectively organized.
>
>Most people in America regardless of being poor or not do not
>participate in formal politics, either.

Probably, but the richest Americans are better organized and take part in organized political actions more regularly than the poorest ones, I think. The power elite seem more class-conscious than low-income workers, who in turn are probably more class-conscious than middle-income workers and professionals. C. Wright Mills wrote in _The Power Elite_ (1957): "Nowhere in America is there as great a 'class consciousness' as among the elite; nowhere is it organized as effectively as among the power elite." I think that's still true. -- Yoshie