Patriotism for the Masses Re: Chomsky News Network

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 30 14:55:42 PDT 2002

Eric D. wrote:

>My god, if I had a dime for every time CEOs and management types
>were "spit" upon for layoffs and worshipping a stock price and
>shareholdrs for looking only at short term profit, etc.

Which reminds me that it is only the masses and left-wing intellectuals who are asked to sign loyalty oaths. The power elite -- the ruling class and the governing elite -- are not only not asked to prove their selfless patriotic virtues, but they can get away with investing where they want, incorporating where they want, making as much profits as possible while paying the least amount of taxes -- preferably $0 -- to the government of the allegedly greatest nation on earth.

Marx wrote in "Anti-Church Movement -- Demonstration in Hyde Park" (1855): "In the eighteenth century the French aristocracy said: For us, Voltaire; for the people, the mass and the tithes. In the nineteenth century the English aristocracy says: For us, pious phrases; for the people, Christian practice." In the USA today, that would be, "For us, cosmopolitan profits amplified by free movement of capital, with tax havens in Barbados and the like; for the people, the flags made in China or Taiwan (buy one get one free!)." -- Yoshie