WTC toxins

SergioL652 at aol.com SergioL652 at aol.com
Thu May 30 17:33:11 PDT 2002

I work for EPA Region 2, which is the Region which covers New York. We started testing of the outside a few days after 9-11. The reason for not testing sooner was that the priority on the first few days was with trying to find survivors, so things like protective equipment, health and safety plans, etc. wher not in place for about two weeks. There were also so many different entities doing the removal work that enforcement of personal protective equipment was spotty. The EPA employees working on other tasks reported to the Managers at the site whenever they saw a worker not using thw equipment (respirators, goggles, gloves, hard hats, etc) but they had no authority to stop work or to make workers wear it. After a couple of weeks, things slowed down enough to implement worker protection.

The results showed a spike of contaminants in the first few days, with levels going quickly down. The bigest contaminan found was asbestos, but in very low levels. One thing about the testing of air, dust, etc. in this situation is that there are no standards to compare the results to. What that means is that if you get a result, you really have no way of knowing whether the level is dangerous or not.

EPA did not test indoor air quality, nor indoor dust, debris, etc. in the beginning, deferring to the State and City, which did nothing. We are now developing a study to test indoor contamination and try to understand if there is a danger to the public. My gut feeling (I am not an epidemiologist or health risk assesor, I am an environmental engineer) is that the health effects from this disaster will be small. FWIW.

Sergio New Jersey