"the greatest country in the world" Re: Chomsky News Network

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 31 06:19:36 PDT 2002

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > >making the US live up to its ideals.
>>
>> "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" -- the most memorable
>> words from the Declaration of Independence -- are not patriotic
>> goals; they are goals of possessive individualism dedicated to
>> accumulation of as much profits as possible.
>>
>> In contrast, the ideals of the French Revolution -- Liberté, Egalité,
> > Fraternité -- are patriotic.
>
>Perhaps we need a return to the original meaning in English of "patriot"
>-- someone who attacks the government. Dr. Johnson (and I admire him
>greatly) is given too much credit for one of his famous assertions,
>"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." By patriot he meant
>the Noam Chomskys of his day. His wisecrack improved in accuracy as the
>language shifted beneath it.
>
>Carrol

One model of patriotism would be Tom Paine, who made himself a revolutionary patriot in England, America, and France -- in short in _any_ nation. Patriotism in this sense and American exceptionalism (which most think of as _the_ definition of patriotism in the USA and to which the belief that this is "the greatest country in the world" boils down) are incompatible. -- Yoshie