Coriolanus

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri May 31 12:02:21 PDT 2002

At 03:01 PM 05/31/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm reminded of _Coriolanus_. Unless anti-imperialists parade their
>wounds (abject protestations of adherence to the City on the Hill as the
>acme of human achievement) they are automatically assumed to "Hate
>Americans." (I know I changed "Hate America" to "Hate Americans," but
>"Hate America" is a code term for the latter on the part of those who
>dress love it or leave it in leftist clothing.)

Yes, even that "boy of tears," demanded some acknowledgment of his dedication to his country. The conflict is still with us: from Americans, everything; for Americans, nothing. Americans, after all, are self-made, independent individuals. The government may take half of every paycheck, but it would be downright communistic to expect anything back.

Joanna