Chomsky News Network

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 31 14:14:16 PDT 2002

budge wrote:

> On Fri, 31 May 2002 at 2:44pm Doug Henwood wrote:
> after all, it's carrol who is always
> on about it how we shouldn't be worried about 'reaching out'
> or 'convincing' people, i thought you disagreed.

To put it politely, this is a fucking lie. I doubt that very many people have ever bothered to read with even minimal care posts on this topic. My arguments are primarily based on simple empirical history. No one has ever succeeded in actually reaching new people (or actually changed the minds of anyone) UNLESS they _began_ by focusing on those who agreed with them but didn't know they did.

It's an empirical debate over strategy and tactics.

Carrol