Coriolanus

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri May 31 15:29:33 PDT 2002

At 06:01 PM 05/31/2002 -0400, Wojtek wrote:
>That is an example of what I call political fundamentalism (or talibanism,
>if you will) - a belief that political institutions and their behavior
>should be understood and judged according to some moral scriptures or
>principles (religious or ideological) rather than explained in terms of
>empirical science. Hence the black-or-white, good-or-evil
>imagery. Debating these accounts is pointless, just as it is pointless
>trying to convince a fundamentalist christian or muslim that there is no
>god or allah or any other big santa claus in the sky.

Empirical science is for describing nature rather than man-made institutions. Also if you think empirical science is value-free, well, what can I say?

How men decide to regulate their relations to one another and to larger social formations is not for empirical science to decide but for men and women to decide.

I took advantage of a reference to Coriolanus to make some wry remarks about the asymmetrical relationship of U.S. patriots to the ruling regime. How this is equivalent to moral tyranny, I don't know.

Joanna