RES: RES: The country that was taken from us

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 31 17:23:07 PDT 2002

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> [...]

I can't pursue this further, but I think both the situation in Russia _AND_ the nature of Luxemberg's response to it are rather more complex than this. One essential article on Lenin is Hal Draper, "The Myth of Lenin's 'Concept of the Party': Or What They Did to _What Is To Be Done?_" It appears in _Historical Materialism_ 4 (Summer 1999). As Draper points out, the debate over 1917 has been filtered through really grotesque misinterpretations of WITBD(often deliberate, as in the 1963 Oxford Univ. Press carefully butchered text of the work). And incidentally, Luxemberg was a great revolutionary, but she was not a plaster saint. Lenin wrote a very mild reply (see CW 7, pp. 474-485) to her article (mistitled in English editions as "Leninism or Marxism?") in which he did not argue for his position in _One Step_ but pointed out that he did not hold the positions she ascribed to him. _Neue Zeit_ refused to print it. Draper comments: "Those who are sensitive to questions of inner-party democracy, so popular with Leninologists, should note that although Luxemberg's article was a virulent attack on Lenin, the democratic editors of the Neue Zeit refused to print Lenin's mild reply." He also notes: "By the way, anyone who thinks Rosa Luxemberg was a sainted angel in internal party brawls is naive. In this case, either she was retailing vicious slanders, of the sort she was familiar with in the Polish movement, or else someone should demonstrate that Lenin _was_ advocating the views with which she charged him. The latter has not been done."

Carrol