girls skeptical of business--and they mean it

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Fri Nov 1 13:51:39 PST 2002

On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 03:34 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>
>> "Girls also expressed more doubt about the goals driving big
>> business. Only 19% considered business to be 'honest and ethical,'
>> the survey found."
>>
>> "Boys are just as skeptical as girls when it comes to corporate
>> honesty and ethics, but the survey shows that they are more willing
>> to overlook that and pursue a business career anyway."
>>
>> just goes to show how girls are impractical. <cough>
>>
>> http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=7035
>
> Hey, I thought men were the ones with rigid moral codes and women were
> the ones with more situational ethics. Now I'm confused.

first i heard that, although i don't follow these things closely. more detail?

may be that the two are compatible in a broader framework. that is, maybe "business and doing good" (or something like that) qualifies as a "situation," where for men, rejecting such moral claims wrt business is part of a rigid moral commitment to self-reliance, providing for one's family, and that old puritan standby, financial success as a marker of moral rectitude.

but i'm just making that up.