6.5 percent

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Nov 2 10:51:38 PST 2002

I'm always jolted when I read that Brazil promised the IMF to produce a primary fiscal surplus of 3.75 percent of GDP, and that only under the rosiest of future scenarios will even that turn out to be enough.

But then just in passing, in reading an article on the Turkish elections, I notice that Turkey, which is in much worse shape economically than Brazil, has contracted in its IMF programme to a primary fiscal surplus of 6.5 percent of GDP. Unbelievable.

Michael