Are Marches Pep-Rallies? (was Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Nov 4 08:22:19 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:
>grubby door-to-door organizing

-When we had dinner months ago, you kvetched about the PIRG model of -politics, yet it seems like you're still pretty enamored of the basic -strategy. Could you reconcile?

Sure-- I agree with the grubby door-to-door part of PIRG work; I disliked their internal lack of democracy and refusal to engage in coalitions of almost any serious kind or engage in serious ideological argument.

The goal has to be to combine vision with practical organizing. At its best, the left has done this, but at the moment, most groups are polarized into organizing without vision or vision without real organizing.

-- Nathan Newman