Hitch

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Mon Nov 4 09:13:16 PST 2002

Hi Doug, I just interviewed Hitchens on Saturday for an article for the National Post. One of the things we started talking about, before he had to go off and do a lecture, was Orwell's difficult balancing act of opposing British imperialism while also opposing foreign enemies such as the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany. I asked Hitchens if it were possible to be opposed to both resurgant anglo-american imperialism and Islamic theocrats. CH didn't really have a chance to respond but he did say 2 intriguing things: 1) he wasn't sure whether the term "imperialism" accurately described what the US/UK were up to and 2) something to the effect that "we have to ask what a non-imperial occupation of Iraq would be like." So I think this would be a good jumping off point -- is a non-imperial occupation even imaginable? Jeet ----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 11:34 AM Subject: Hitch