Hitch

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 4 09:31:04 PST 2002

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Ok, looks like I've booked Hitchens for the radio this Thursday, 5 PM. Any
>thoughts on what I should ask him? Questions on Orwell would be nice, as
>well as the obvious.
>
>Doug

You might ask Hitchens how he squares his new enthusiasm for imperialism with Orwell's observations on how imperialism corrupts and debilitates the imperialist. E.g., from Orwell's "Shooting an Elephant":

"With one part of my mind I thought of the British Raj as an unbreakable tyranny, as something clamped down, in saecula saeculorum, upon the will of prostrate peoples; with another part I thought that the greatest joy in the world would be to drive a bayonet into a Buddhist priest's guts. Feelings like these are the normal by-products of imperialism; ask any Anglo-Indian official, if you can catch him off duty.

"... when the white man turns tyrant it is his own freedom that he destroys. He becomes a sort of hollow, posing dummy, the conventionalised figure of a sahib. For it is the condition of his rule that he shall spend his life in trying to impress the 'natives' and so in every crisis he has got to do what the 'natives' expect of him. He wears a mask, and his face grows to fit it. I had got to shoot the elephant. I had committed myself to doing it when I sent for the rifle. A sahib has got to act like a sahib; he has got to appear resolute, to know his own mind and do definite things. To come all that way, rifle in hand, with two thousand people marching at my heels, and then to trail feebly away, having done nothing--no, that was impossible. The crowd would laugh at me. And my whole life, every white man's life in the East, was one long struggle not to be laughed at."

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp