Buchanan runs roughshod over Canukistan

npchilds at connect.ab.ca npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Mon Nov 4 13:08:35 PST 2002

It's hard to tell what's sadder here, a 'national' newspaper that feels compelled to comment on his lunatic ravings, or that the federal Minister of Immigration felt he had to give a cogent response. Sometimes we're just too fucking polite, I just wish someone here had the cajones to say 'Pat Buchanan said what? Why should I care what that raving fascist race baiter has to say? Hezbollah in Canada? I would have thought he would be glad to have someone dedicated to killing Jews in such close proximity, sounds like the kind of thing he'd support'. But that'll probably never happen.

PC

>From globeandmail.com, Saturday, November 2, 2002

Pat Buchanistan

It's hard to remain upset with conservative U.S. commentator Pat

Buchanan. He tries so hard to make a dent in that country's presidential

race, and limps away with so little to show for it. He joins the

Microsoft-NBC cable-television channel MSNBC, billed as "America's

NewsChannel," but finds his talk show Buchanan and Press trailing so low

in the ratings it's a wonder he and Bill Press don't get the bends.

Every once in a while he notices Canada and growls at it. In 1990, he said that if Canada splintered because of the collapse of the Meech Lake accord, "America would pick up the pieces." Two days ago, when Canada asked the United States not to target Canadian citizens just because they were born in certain countries, Mr. Buchanan griped to Mr. Press that Americans didn't need a lecture "from Soviet Canuckistan."

So what if Ottawa's argument was persuasive enough to win over the U.S. government? Mr. Buchanan was on a roll, trotting out his complaints that Canada relies on Washington for defence and "is a complete haven for international terrorists," conveniently forgetting that the Sept. 11 hijackers didn't make their home on this side of the border.

But that's Mr. Buchanan's way, and we don't mind giving his views an audience. Heaven knows he could use one. Copyright 2002 | Bell Globemedia Interactive Inc.