Are Marches Pep-Rallies? (was Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 4 17:51:24 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> he one who went to DC belong to a liberal Protestant church in Baltimore
> - again, a place with its heart in the right place but normally not very
> mobilized politically. Yet the congregation is pretty energized by
> antiwar activity. Short of Nathan knocking on their doors, don't the
> demos do a lot to bring people like that out of the woodwork?

But wouldn't it be even easier to bring them out of the wood work if we had simultaneous small demos in their own downtowns? Baltimore isn't but a half hour from Washington. But if they were from Cleveland they'd probably be balked.

Don't small local demos do everything big demos with less effort and less need for the party structure? And denser connections made with people who live close enough to easily consider doing something else with?

Michael