Glaspie/Hussein ...

Patrick Bond pbond at sn.apc.org
Mon Nov 4 22:06:24 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bradford DeLong" <delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU>
> I think so. The Kuwaitis *were* doing a *lot* of slant drilling, after
all...

Weren't they also doing a lot of slant drilling into Saddam's forex reserves, through repayment pressure on what I vaguely recall was a debt (Iraq to Kuwait) of some US$70 bn? Weren't the geopolitics of debt repayment somewhat to blame here?

Speaking of which, that's an eloquent column of yours, Brad, that graces my morning Business Day op-ed page here in Jo'burg. But you seem to lay the blame for Argentina's problems entirely on political populism with nary a word about Wall Street loan pushers or US Treasury Dep't policy. Given the ID tag line, it looks really self-serving, given that the debate here (even in the neolib Business Day) has gone a very long way to fingering the Fischer/Summer tag team. How'd you forget that factor?

Cheers, Patrick