On "Some Leftists" as a subject

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Tue Nov 5 11:37:15 PST 2002

At 12:28 PM 11/5/02 -0600, Carrol Cox wrote:

>Sentences that begin "Some X is..." are usually tautological and silly,
>unless a specified narrow population (e.g., frequent posters to lbo) is
>denoted by X.
>
>Carrol

I'm glad you hedged with the use of "usually" here:

Subject: Women and Lists Re: Solidarity & "Humanitarian" Imperialism (was Re: Yoshie's dearthoffemale contributors) From: Carrol Cox (cbcox at ilstu.edu) Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 11:19:14 EST

Please read the entire subject line. It tells a tale. We (marxism, lbo, pen-l, and L-I) simply cannot keep a thread on women going. Humanitarian Imperialism is a vital subject, and I've had much to say about it in the past and will in the future. But I think the quick mutarion into something else of threads on women is a pretty good synecdoche for the status on the left (in practice and theory) of the "woman question."

Carrol http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0004/1335.html

Now, I realize you specified four lists, but you did imply that those lists were simply indicative of the entirety of the left--a left that, in your mind, has a problem dealing with the "woman question." Which isn't a whole lot different than Anthony has suggested re: his favorite axe.

And, I realize that it's a logical fallacy to suggest that your argument is wrong because you aren't even capable of avoiding engaging in the same tautological and silly statements as Andrew has, on your view. To be sure. Cause I'm not saying you are wrong.

;p

Kelley

Two Carrols Theme Sets: Buy One Get one Free Sale going on NOW!