Al-Q Honcho Hit

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 5 14:36:13 PST 2002

Gordon:
> There are other ways of looking at the situation -- as you do
> above. If you extend the logic a little, you can see a
> process of demoralization going on, where, gradually, more
> and more dubious acts become acceptable, with each act
> rendering the next step more feasible. Demoralization is a
> form of social degeneration in which a community gradually
> loses the rules or principles which bind it together. The

There is a difference between upholding principles and fundamentalism. The former takes common sense into account, the latter does not. It is easy to preach from the campus ivory tower about principles but that does not help much in upholding them. The German Left sticked to their principles in 1930 and let Hitler take power. That is fundamentalism - "I will not sacrifice my principles no matter what." It is often more dangerous or hypocritcal than spineless drifting with the trend. At least the latter do nor take a high moral ground and sermonize others.

Wojtek