Glaspie/Hussein ...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 5 15:14:56 PST 2002

Bradford DeLong wrote:

>There is, however, another point of view, a point of view that looks
>deeper into Argentinean history.

There's an individual tale for every middle- and low-income country that explains its underdevelopment. But what about the system as a whole? Why do the same countries repeatedly fail to close the gap with the high-income countries? Aren't there some broader structural constraints on them - the heritage of imperialism, enforced technological backwardness, export orientation, the endless burden of debt? I don't expect John Taylor to talk about that, but I'd expect a distinguished economic historian to.

Doug