My response to Kristof's silly left

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Nov 5 17:54:08 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 Michael Pugliese wrote:

> I saw more than a few picket signs at the bog O26 rally in S.F. saying
> Wellstone was murdered, Steve. Of course, I had to talk to the loons.
> Plenty of posts on PSN of late said the same.

Yes, but is this any monopoly of the left? The day Wellstone died I was talking to a rightwinger in my office (a former aide to Helms) and he was chock full of right wing conspiracy theories about how the Democrats had had him killed in order to win on the sympathy vote -- he called it the "torch strategy" (admittedly tongue in cheek.) I went back to ask him whether this had been been big on the right wing blogs and he said Oh yes, and he'd even seen it someplace semi-respectable he couldn't remember. (I asked him to define semi-respectable and he said, you know, Drudge, The Washington Times, the WSJ editorial page.)

It doesn't excuse him, but Kristof just comes off sounding like a rube, like he's never toured the blogway or the world of listservs before. Guess that two column a week deadline is weighing him down.

Michael