David Corn: troubling origins of the anti-war movement

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Nov 6 10:28:46 PST 2002

Dddddd0814 at aol.com wrote:
>But the protests did not stop 3 million Vietnamese men, women and children--
many
>of whom were innocent civilians-- from getting killed. Why? Because the
>machinery and apparati of war and capitalism (respectively) remained
>available and operational on a full-time basis.

Innocent civilians? As opposed to those *guilty* of fighting for the independence of their country?

My view is every little bit helped. The Vietnamese needed the U.S. movement, too.

>Dennis:

>>Right -- people's personal experience shouldn't be counted. What good are

>>their crummy lives? Trust only those in red lab coats, studying beakers
held

>>in left hands.

>David:

>Uhh.... is that really what you think I meant? What are you saying here, by

>the way? That science, rationality and objectivity aren't for workers?

>"Right."

-> --d

Hmm, I thought we feminists had pretty much proved that personal experience, analyzed collectively, IS political data. Guess that point hasn't been made well enough yet.

David writes:
>In my opinion, it's far better to take a principled stance rather than a
>dogmatic one on what folks "have to" or "don't have to" support. And it's my
>understanding, based on the reading and studying I've been doing, that
unless
>the events that are now unfolding engender a strong workers' movement that
>does not cast its lot with the bourgeoisie in Washington, these wars will
>continue, on and on.

Yeh, you keep saying that--where do you think that's gonna come from, if you do? I'm not too convinced by the all-or-nothing rhetoric, but I agree with the general idea that for people war is just an awful symptom of the general problem that we lack control over the conditions of our lives, never mind our gov't's actions. So what's your program?

Jenny Brown