Al-Q Honcho Hit

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 6 12:13:10 PST 2002

The dispute below is too big--basicalically it is the subject of Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit. I thing Hegel had it avout right. Early societies had a law based on custom (Sittlichkeit, ethical culture) that was followed pretty rigorously. The absence of formal legal codes didn't mean no rules, on the contrary. Those broke down as societies became larger, more complicated, involved more relations among strangers, diverse roles and the like. That led to the development of formal law and the state. Of course civil society operates below the radar of the Law, capital L, and society can't survive at all if the LAw is the only set of rules regulating interaction, but a large complicated modern society cannot survive without the Law.

This story, btw, involves a dynamic, dewvelopmental conception of rationality to which I subscribe. I don't buy the idea that there's a Geist whose necessary development towards freedom and self-consciousness is the only unique story of history. I'm just raiding Hegel for some naturalized ideas about sociology.

None of this is really relevant to whether we should blow up suspected leaders of foreign terrorist groups rather than seeking to have them arrested and tried, except insofar as the claim that we need the rule of law in modern society bears, in a general way, on that claim. jks