Debt reduction

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Wed Nov 6 13:49:41 PST 2002

Workers banking on sperm

print article

email a friend

Bucharest - Workers at a Romanian car factory have decided to donate sperm to get the debt-ridden plant out of the red, private television ProTv reported this week.

"Our feasibility study shows that if 1 000 workers donate their sperm for several months, we can get enough funds to pay part of the plant's debts," Ion Cotescu, trade union leader at ARO Campulung, told ProTv.

He said the decision came after reports in the local media said a fertility clinic in the western city of Timisoara offered donors the equivalent of $50 (R500) a visit. The monthly average wage in Romania is around $150 (R1500).

The ARO Campulung plant, which makes jeep-style four-wheel-drives, has debts put at $20 million (R200 million).

Cotescu told Reuters the sperm donation scheme also amounted to a protest against the government's privatisation authority APAPS which had failed to find a strategic investor for the plant.

"They always told us to come up with a solution. Now, we have found one that --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]