Fla intangibles tax

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Nov 7 11:23:24 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 11:09 AM Subject: Re: Fla intangibles tax

> > It may or may not be better than an income tax.
>
> I guess that just about covers it then :-)

We don't know enough yet. Intangibles are a pretty rarefied economic issue and the legacy of the industrialization model that fed New Deal era tax codes has been 'internalized' in citizens heads. The last time inheritance taxes was a *serious* issue in the US was in the era leading up to WWI [see Joseph McCartin's "Labor's Great War" Univ. NC Press] and since the Right wants to take property rights and tax issues back to the time of Justice Story and John Locke in the era of databases and genomes, creating literacy on the issues is a friggin' headache and depressing.