Fla intangibles tax

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Thu Nov 7 13:15:14 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jordan Hayes" <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 12:46 PM Subject: Re: Fla intangibles tax

> > I-695 was a voter initiative designed to cut the cost
> > of car license fees to $30 /year. It passed overwhelmingly,
> > with almost NO organized opposition.
>
> It's I-695 that shows just how awful the initiative process is.

Yup, but it also shows just how awful state legislatures have become that citizens have seized upon initiatives as a means of last resort to create public debates. I'd assert, while admitting to being too lazy to defend the assertion with a monograph, that state legislatures are going to hell in a handbasket faster than Congress. If you think Congress is bought, the states have been bought for a far cheaper price.....

Ian