Uncle Remus or Herman Melville & 9/11

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 7 13:48:26 PST 2002

A year ago I proposed the tarbaby as an image of the possible fate of the U.S. War on Terror. I did not know that Edward Said and others had already proposed (as mentioned in the current issue of the LRB) a more powerful analogy: 9/11 and its perpetrators as the Moby Dick, U.S. imperialism as Ahab. "America [has embarked] unchecked on another heroic venture: a worldwide geological survey for whatever still has the power to cross or terrify her, followed by massive excavations and uprootings." May that heroic venture be as disastrous as was Ahab's.

Carrol