Economist hit on Naomi Klein

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 8 08:03:59 PST 2002

> Doug quoted:
> >
> > The Economist - November 7, 2002
> > In training her guns on free trade and big
> multinationals, Ms Klein
> > is attacking the best means for reducing poverty
> and, for that
> > matter, extending justice and a political voice to
> the world's
> > poorest people.

The conclusion stated above does not follow from the premises set forth below.

When companies, properly regulated
> and acting within
> > the law, pursue profits, they end up increasing
> prosperity. This is
> > not a theory but an easily observable fact.

Well, it is a theory, but it is also perfectly true, as any Marxist will tell you.

The
> result, unintended
> > though it may be, is social good.

Quite, but nothing about free trade and multinationals proceeds from general platitudes, however justified, about the invisible hand. "Properly regulated" might mean "no free trade," and the law might well restrict the freedom of multinationals to loot and pillage, oops, I mean, make profits where they choose.

Ms Klein denies
> all this at every
> > turn-and the tragedy is that her denials have an
> effect.

Bless her hard head. Btw, I am not sure that I agree with No Logo slogan. Brands probably are a good thing, convey a lot of information briefly. I know, e.g., that Target is good cheap housewares, that Parker makes good pens, that Jones Day is a top-flight defense firm (yeah, I work here, but that's in part _because_ it's a top-flight defense firm--and vice versa of course!), that LBO is a source of edgy, smart, sharp radical commentary (I mean Doug's newsletter), etc.