Economist hit on Naomi Klein

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Nov 8 08:49:49 PST 2002

Doug:
> Even organizations mandated to maximize profit and offload costs onto
> workers and the earth?

The text to which I replied contained the phrase "properly regulated" which makes all the difference in the world. This, if I recall, was also point made by Galbraith - that organizations have a _potential_ to do much better than the market. Whether they actualize that potential is another issue (which btw can offer sound logical ground for arguing the criminality of corporate leadership who try to hide behind "market forces").

I think the "small-is-beautiful" crowd is shooting itself in the foot when they cry that bureaucracies (class to of which corporations belong) are evil. For if they get rid of complex organizations, the only force they are left with to rely on in bringing general prosperity and happiness for all is guess what - the self-regulating market. I'd rather stick with the organizations.

Wojtek