Economist hit on Naomi Klein

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Nov 8 10:37:09 PST 2002

>I find that if I read the papers during the week - the NYT, WSJ, and
>FT, to name names - there's little new in the Economist. Sure they do
>something useful and interesting now and then, but mostly it strikes
>me as just a lot of attitude.

Well, for those of us without the daily WSJ and FT subscriptions, the Economist is the only publication I read (including the NYT) that covers economic issues and global events in any detail. I've actually been able to follow the ups and downs of the Brazilian election, with details on different party factions and who was somewhat supporting whom, with pretty good detail. I don't read them particularly for US politics, although they have some interesting details, but there special reports on everything from pensions to Internet commerce provide more hard data in digestible form that any source I know of.

So write me up for the cult of the Economist. And I know a heck of a lot of other lefties who have signed up as well.

-- Nathan Newman