the case against the case against "regime change" in Iraq

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Nov 8 12:27:34 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: <JBrown72073 at cs.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>
>So if folks don't acknowledge and respond to a
>pretty clear argument, the Left has little chance of convincing them to
>oppose intervention.

-I think the burden is on the neocon dems, or whoever, to show that the U.S. -is breaking with a policy of 50 years standing in the Middle East (arming, -installing and coddling compliant dictators) and to prove it with more than -rhetoric.

No-- since the American people have voted to give those folks the power to invade, the burden is on the opposition whether you like it or not.

I think some left folks feel that being right is enough, so dealing with bad convincing arguments are beneath them.

It is exactly the swing pro-war Dems and moderate Repubicans who the antiwar movement has to convince. Some of it can be done based on self-interest and how stupid this war is, but some has to be combatting the idealistic hopes that Hitch touches on that the neoconservatives are promoting.

-- Nathan Newman