Fla intangibles tax

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Nov 8 14:15:10 PST 2002

>I'm always amazed when I hear people (left and right) touting the
>virtues of local government. The NYC Council is a nightmare of
>hackery, and so is the NYS legislature. Proceedings of both bodies
>seem more opaque and corrupt than Congress.

By pure personal honesty levels (as opposed to systemic corruption due to corporate funding of elections), our Congress is a model of ethics. Look at Torricelli-- he went down based on a few thousand dollars of gifts, which is one of the largest scandals of recent years. Local government officials are routinely caught taking far larger amounts-- actually, a few connected to Torricelli in local New Jersey government are going down for exactly those kinds of corruption.

One reason why a Democrat won the governorship of Arizona is that the GOP had a series of corrupt governors who discredited the party. (Not that the Dems haven't done the same in other states).

-- Nathan Newman