How to Raise the Social Costs to the Power Elite Re: the case against the case against "regime change" in Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 8 16:00:54 PST 2002

At 6:12 PM -0500 11/8/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>-Politics doesn't equal pleading to Congressional Dems. What DP did
>-to pass the resolution giving Bush the power to invade Iraq, it can't
>-and won't undo at this point. If Congressional Dems want attention
>-of anti-war activists, they, as our servants, have to bring a
>-concrete proposal to stop the war to us, not the other way around.
>
>Who is "us"? Most antiwar Dems consult quite often with various peace
>activists in their districts.
>
>A significant majority of Dems voted against Bush's resolution. So the
>issue is not pleading to the Dems who already voted with us, but convincing
>the swing Dems and moderate GOPers who can be pushed to switch their vote in
>future resolutions.

I'm subscribed to the EPIC (Education for Peace in Iraq Center) and Franklin County Dem mailing lists (in addition to many others), so if there are any halfway decent resolutions concerning the war on Iraq sponsored by any war-weary Dems, I'll immediately hear of them. None is in the works, as none would pass.

Cuts have come and more cuts will be coming and not just in education, war or no war, anti-war protests or no anti-war protests: e.g., <http://www.dcfpi.org/4-12-02bud.htm>. Social costs to the power elite can be raised even without directly opposing the war on Iraq, if masses of Americans rise up and protest the cuts militantly. -- Yoshie