How to Raise the Social Costs to the Power Elite Re: the case against the case against "regime change" in Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 8 18:58:05 PST 2002

At 7:15 PM -0500 11/8/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>-I'm subscribed to the EPIC (Education for Peace in Iraq Center) and
>-Franklin County Dem mailing lists (in addition to many others), so if
>-there are any halfway decent resolutions concerning the war on Iraq
>-sponsored by any war-weary Dems, I'll immediately hear of them. None
>-is in the works, as none would pass.
>
>At the moment yes, since votes usually aren't seriously pushed until they
>are within striking range of a majority. SO the question is how to build
>that majority.

That's what diehard soc-dem defenders of Dems like yourself will have to think about on your own, but soc-dem defenders have no power whatsoever within the DP, so you won't be able to set a new DP agenda in any case.

Organized labor will have to realize that a guns-and-butter double-V campaign (of the kind imagined by Gordon Lafer for instance -- <http://www.dissentmagazine.org/articles/fa02/lafer.htm>) is impossible at this point in history, but union leaders won't come to such a conclusion in time to prevent the war on Iraq. -- Yoshie